Here are some frequently asked questions.
IS THERE JUST ONE TEAM?
CICS originally existed of just one competitive climbing team for youth aged 8ish to 18. We now offer a two day a week developmental team and are experimenting with a one day program for younger athletes who want to compete one day (aproximately starting at age 6). For further info, reach out to head coach Chris Neve at
DO TEAM MEMBERS HAVE TO COMPETE?
There are limited spaces on the competitive team so they are expected to compete. They certainly don't have to do all the competitions (approximately 10 per year including provincials and nationals) but they are expected to do some. Athletes on the developmental team do not need to compete.
HOW MUCH ARE THE FEE'S?
Fee's vary depending on how many days per week you train. The team has 2, 3 and 4 day per week options. Costs are $1250, $1800 and $2350 accordingly for the season (late September until late may). Competition entrance fees and travel are not included.
CAN I SIGN UP FOR ONLY PART OF THE SEASON?
If you only want to sign up for a semester the developmental team currently facilitates that. Competitive team members need to sign up for the year as there are limited spaces.
HOW DO YOU GET ON THE COMPETITIVE TEAM?
Getting on the competitive team is done via a once or twice a year trial. Usually kids would come from the development team but it isn't mandatory. Athletes are chosen based on their fit with the team core values which are:
· Awareness of all the other athletes on the team, their needs and goals, and the ability to support them to reach their potential.
· Fully committed to their individual development as an athlete and person.
· Compelled to succeed and excel.
· The presence of the qualities and skills which are required for a person to excel in sport.
· Willingness to listen, learn, and apply the coaching they are receiving.
Drop us a line if you have additional questions about Canmore Indoor Climbing Society (CICS).